Skip to main content

What's In A Name?

Paradise Near Purgatoire, 12x16, Acrylic on Canvas














 





Didn't have a whole lot of time to work up a real in depth post this week, but did want to share a recently completed painting and some insights that went into painting it. This painting is entitled, Paradise Near Purgatoire. Pun intended.
It's a 12"x16" acrylic painting on a gallery wrapped canvas.
Yes, this is a real place. I have the photos to prove it. I came upon this place in the spring of 1999, in southeastern Colorado. It was spring break, and we were not in any financial position to take a no-holds-barred trip to a beach or Mexico, or Florida, so I decided to go on a few day trips. One such place was to a remote place called to Picketwire Canyonlands. The Purgatoire River runs through Picketwire Canyon, which is located in the Comanche National Grasslands. Along the Purgatoire River there are several sets of dinosaur tracks. That was the main attraction. So, I asked my daughter, Becky if she wanted to go. She agreed it would be pretty cool, and off we went. Great 10 mile hike, and great photos of dino tracks.
Anyway, driving down dirt roads out in the wilderness you can find little places like this. To me, this is someones dream. It's their home. It's their little piece of paradise. This little homestead was not too far from our destination along the Purgatoire River. Just seemed like an appropriate title. 
What's amazing for me is that it took 17 years to finally get around to painting it. Had the photos and idea for years. But that's how it is sometimes with art. Some ideas just gotta incubate a while!
Hope you enjoyed this! Blessings...


Eddie Mac

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Website Changes & New Focus Part 2

Beach Romance, 16x20 Pointillist Painting This is the second part of a short 2 part post. As noted in my last post, I explained what Romantic Realism was and why I was moving forward as a Romantic Realist painter. I thought I should also explain why I no longer planned on painting as a Pointillist painter. As a result, my Pointillist art will no longer be a focus on my website at, https://edmccarthyart.com.   For many years, prior to painting as a Romantic Realist, I painted using a post-impressionist style called, Pointillism. I still have many Pointillist works available, and so I felt readers would appreciate a short brief concerning this style I worked with for so long. Pointillism, was the first style to come about after Impressionist. It is a technique whereby paint is applied closely together using tiny dots, daubs and/or dashes. Mixing dots of specific colors can create a new color. These new colors are not produced physically on th

Village On A Dune

Village on a Dune This is my latest painting. It's a fairly large canvas by my standards, measuring 36"x36". Works like this and 30"x40" and the 24"x48" sizes are about as large as I can paint in my studio. I just don't have the time or space to work much larger. And works that sit on my easel for very long periods begin to loose their appeal for me. Anyway, this painting is what I would call a painted parable, a contemporary scene with an inspirational foundation.  This is my ETSY writeup: This painting depicts a small coastal village set on a dune, at night, under a crescent moon. The surf rolls in and out as soft fluffy clouds drift by. Th e inspiration for this painting comes from the Bible, the Gospel of Matthew, chapter 5, verse 14. The passage is a quote by Jesus that states we are to be light unto the world, just like a city on a hill which can't be hidden, we are to let our light shine. I just extended the analogy all the